[petsc-users] Using petsc for banded matrices and 2D finite differences

Brandt Belson bbelson at princeton.edu
Tue Nov 15 12:03:42 CST 2011

I'm not sure what you mean by the sign of the shift, but the equations are
roughly of the form:

(I dt/Re - L) u = f

where dt~0.1, Re~1000, and L is the Laplacian in 3D, so once it is Fourier
transformed each x-y plane has equations like this:

(I dt/Re + I k_z^2 - L_{k_z}) \hat{u}_{k_z} = \hat{f}_{k_z}

I'm not sure which wavenumber you mean, but k_z goes as nz.

Thanks,
Brandt