[petsc-users] configure error windows debug mode

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Tue Nov 15 07:15:08 CST 2011

On Tue, Nov 15, 2011 at 7:06 AM, Dominik Szczerba <dominik at itis.ethz.ch>wrote:

> >> Why I am worried is that I can not link debug version to my
> >> application on Windows, I can only link the optimized one. I want to
> >> eliminate this error message as a potential culprit.
>
> > Does 'make test' work? If so - you are looking at the wrong place.
>
> No, during compilation I get a very similar error as previously reported:
>
> libfast in: /cygdrive/c/pack/petsc-3.2-p5/src/mat/impls/adj
> libfast in: /cygdrive/c/pack/petsc-3.2-p5/src/mat/impls/adj/mpi
> make[9]: vfork: Resource temporarily unavailable
>
> If I type now "make test" I get:
>
> libpetsc.lib(matregis.o) : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol
> MatCreate_M
> PIAdj referenced in function MatRegisterAll
> libpetsc.lib(gasm.o) : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol
> MatCreateMPIAdj
>  referenced in function PCGASMCreateSubdomains
> libpetsc.lib(asm.o) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol
> MatCreateMPIAdj
> libpetsc.lib(pmetis.o) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol
> MatCreateMPIA
> dj
> libpetsc.lib(mpibaij.o) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol
> MatCreateMPI
> Adj
> C:\pack\PETSC-~1.2-P\src\snes\examples\TUTORI~1\ex19.exe : fatal error
> LNK1120:
> 2 unresolved externals
>
> Note, before it was when building the debug mode, now it happens when
> building release mode.
> So it is not reproducible and likely explains the linking problems I
> have with my own applications. Portions of Petsc are simply not
> compiled, so some symbols are naturally missing. They just happened by
> bad luck to previously affect the debug and now the release mode.
>
> So hopefully approaching a conclusion of my 2 weeks long struggle:
>
> 1) what is this error, and how to prevent it?

This is a Windows filesystem problem. It has nothing to do with PETSc.

  make[9]: vfork: Resource temporarily unavailable

It fails to create a process to compile the file. You can keep running make
until everything gets built. From looking at Google, there is no fix for
this
problem, other than abandoning Windows.

    Matt

2) make.log reporting 'Completed building libraries" at the end is