[petsc-users] configure error windows debug mode

Dominik Szczerba dominik at itis.ethz.ch
Tue Nov 15 07:06:42 CST 2011

>> Why I am worried is that I can not link debug version to my
>> application on Windows, I can only link the optimized one. I want to
>> eliminate this error message as a potential culprit.

> Does 'make test' work? If so - you are looking at the wrong place.

No, during compilation I get a very similar error as previously reported:

libfast in: /cygdrive/c/pack/petsc-3.2-p5/src/mat/impls/adj
libfast in: /cygdrive/c/pack/petsc-3.2-p5/src/mat/impls/adj/mpi
make[9]: vfork: Resource temporarily unavailable

If I type now "make test" I get:

libpetsc.lib(matregis.o) : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol MatCreate_M
PIAdj referenced in function MatRegisterAll
libpetsc.lib(gasm.o) : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol MatCreateMPIAdj
 referenced in function PCGASMCreateSubdomains
libpetsc.lib(asm.o) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol MatCreateMPIAdj
libpetsc.lib(pmetis.o) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol MatCreateMPIA
dj
libpetsc.lib(mpibaij.o) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol MatCreateMPI
Adj
C:\pack\PETSC-~1.2-P\src\snes\examples\TUTORI~1\ex19.exe : fatal error LNK1120:
2 unresolved externals

Note, before it was when building the debug mode, now it happens when
building release mode.
So it is not reproducible and likely explains the linking problems I
have with my own applications. Portions of Petsc are simply not
compiled, so some symbols are naturally missing. They just happened by
bad luck to previously affect the debug and now the release mode.

So hopefully approaching a conclusion of my 2 weeks long struggle:

1) what is this error, and how to prevent it?

2) make.log reporting 'Completed building libraries" at the end is
confusing. It made me think all is fine. I believe the error should be
intercepted and building stopped.

Many thanks and regards,
Dominik