[petsc-users] Small vectors and matrices

markus.sons at gmail.com markus.sons at gmail.com
Fri Nov 11 03:35:14 CST 2011

Hello petsc-users,

I'm currently trying the basic functionality of PETSc and reading some of
the tutorial codes.

Now I'd like to ask you, whether you think that PETSc is also suitable for
small, local vector computations. Something like calculating point-to-point
distance in 3D etc?
I guess it would be hard to read as there are probably a lot of steps (e.g.
creating an index array, AssemblyBegin and AssemblyEnd) and due to the lack
of overloaded operators.

Of course I could now write a C++ class which will serve as a nice wrapper
for PETSc, but it seems to me that the PETSc objects have a lot of overhead
and are really developed
for solving and assembling huge equation systems.

So, what do you recommend? Using PETSc for the large-scale computations and
some simple Vec and Mat class for small, local stuff?

Thanks in advance!

Markus