[petsc-users] Need help...

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Tue Nov 8 10:45:22 CST 2011

On Tue, Nov 8, 2011 at 4:15 PM, Jed Brown <jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 8, 2011 at 10:09, jean-frederic thebault <
> jean-frederic at thebault-net.com> wrote:
>
>> First of all, thank you for this library.
>> View years ago, we had mixed our (f77) finite volume code with petsc, and
>> obtained some very interested results (faster calculations, multi-processor
>> issues, ..), with a 4 linux-PC cluster and a myrinet switch, and petsc-2.1.3
>> Regarding the new PC architecture (multi-threading), the same mixed code
>> apparently is calculating slower each time we increase the number of
>> processors used (processor or core, I'm not sure to use the right word). We
>> thought that time that we should upgrade our petsc library (with
>> petsc-3.1-p8)
>>

> Please use petsc-3.2
>

>> to have benefit of the multi-threading architecture. So do we, changing a
>> little bit some stuff (merrely "include" names). We compiled it with
>> mpif77. The fortran-samples of petsc are working just fine. But our code
>> doesn't work. We have tried a lot of different options and tried for view
>> weeks to figure out what is happening, nothing.

There have been 11 releases of the 9 years since 2.1.3. There have been
more interface changes than MatSetOption(). All of them
are catalogued here:
http://www.mcs.anl.gov/petsc/petsc-as/documentation/changes/index.html.
"Doesn't work" is an inadequate
description of your problem. What happen precisely?

   Matt