[petsc-users] -snes_type test

Gianluca Meneghello gianmail at gmail.com
Fri Mar 18 06:07:29 CDT 2011

Hi,

trying to check the jacobian of my nonlinear solver with -snes_type
test, I came up with an error in SNES solve. The same error does not
appear with -snes_type ls.
Using the latest dev version (downloaded this morning), I tried a
tutorial in order to check whether it was a general problem or a
problem related to my own code.
The code in src/snes/examples/tutorials/ex1.c reports the same error.
In this last case, the output of

./ex1 -snes_type test

is

Testing hand-coded Jacobian, if the ratio is
O(1.e-8), the hand-coded Jacobian is probably correct.
Run with -snes_test_display to show difference
of hand-coded and finite difference Jacobian.
Norm of matrix ratio 1.08967e-07 difference 2.43658e-07
Norm of matrix ratio 7.6194e-08 difference 3.4075e-07
Norm of matrix ratio 7.6211e-08 difference 3.40826e-07
[0]PETSC ERROR: SNESSolve() line 2360 in src/snes/interface/snes.c
[0]PETSC ERROR: main() line 144 in src/snes/examples/tutorials/ex1.c
application called MPI_Abort(MPI_COMM_WORLD, 73) - process 0
[unset]: aborting job:
application called MPI_Abort(MPI_COMM_WORLD, 73) - process 0

the same error was given using a much older (last december I think) dev version.

Any suggestion?

Thanks

Gianluca

--
"[Je pense que] l'homme est un monde qui vaut des fois les mondes et
que les plus ardentes ambitions sont celles qui ont eu l'orgueil de