[petsc-users] Building with MKL 10.3

Jed Brown jed at 59A2.org
Tue Mar 15 10:48:20 CDT 2011

On Tue, Mar 15, 2011 at 16:36, Natarajan CS <csnataraj at gmail.com> wrote:

> Also I wonder what percentage of the code is actually blas/lapack intensive
> to make any significant dent in wall cock?

Rather little of PETSc is dependent on dense linear algebra. Some
third-party direct solvers use it in their numerical factorization routines.
Otherwise, it's mostly just vector operations which tend to be bandwidth
limited anyway and are not so sensitive to implementation. Also, it is much
more common for the majority of run time to be in matrix kernels than pure
vector operations. Note that while HT is effective at covering stalls due to
irregular memory access, it's not so good for tight kernels or purely
bandwidth-limited tasks.