[petsc-users] MatMatMult takes much time

Alexander Grayver agrayver at gfz-potsdam.de
Sat Mar 12 08:17:55 CST 2011

Hello,

call
MatMatMult(S,G,MAT_INITIAL_MATRIX,PETSC_DEFAULT_DOUBLE_PRECISION,J,ierr);CHKERRQ(ierr)

I use this operation to compute matrix-matrix product. It's correct, but
quite slow.

For instance, my matrix S is a dense matrix size of <6x762048 complex
double> and matrix G is a sparse matrix with 2 nonzeros per row and size
of <762048x254016 complex double>
Time spent on S*G was ~22 secs with 32 processes over 4 nodes. There is
infiniband between nodes.

Is it a real life or I'm doing something wrong?

Regards,
Alexander