[petsc-users] [petsc-maint #73793] Weird behavior of the Jacobian of a complex system

Jed Brown jed at 59A2.org
Wed Jun 1 03:02:17 CDT 2011

Please email the list rather than me personally.

On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 22:19, Jeremy Riousset <riousset at gatech.edu> wrote:

> Am I correct if I say that the alpha method becomes an implicit Runge-Kutta
> for alpha 0.5 and a classic Euler method for alpha = 1?

There are two values of "alpha" which could be taken to be the same which
would give you a theta method. If they are both equal to one half, you get
the midpoint method. Please read the cited papers for specific details. Our
implementation recasts the method into a more convenient form to use, but it
is equivalent.