[petsc-users] Conditional Constraints

Jed Brown jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Jul 29 16:40:51 CDT 2011

On Mon, Jul 25, 2011 at 23:40, Vijay S. Mahadevan <vijay.m at gmail.com> wrote:

> I was also going to ask whether this can be used to solve a DAE by
> decoupling it into a time dependent equation and an algebraic (functional)
> constraint associated with it.

The stiff integrators in TS are intended for solving DAE. If you have
consistent initial conditions, then TSGL should just work, perhaps after
turning off error control or specifying your own controller (the built-in
controllers are not robust at present). If you do not have consistent
initial conditions, then they need to be solved for, which we don't
currently have support for, but should be adding reasonably soon.