[petsc-users] Preconditioned JFNK using SuperLU_dist for time dependent problems

Travis C. Fisher travis.fisher at nasa.gov
Fri Jul 29 11:27:35 CDT 2011

Hong,

In petsc-dev, superlu_dist now fails at the first attempt to apply the
preconditioner in the first linear solve. In the release version, it
worked fine for the first time step (that's five nonlinear solves using
the same preconditioner), but then failed on the second time step (which
I suppose is more disconcerting). I have tried on 1 and 4 processors and
get the same problem in the development version.

To clarify, when I mentioned ASM/ILU before, the ILU routine I was using
was the default PETSc routine. That still works with my implementation
using petsc-dev.

Mumps worked fine with petsc-dev, but I don't think it's as fast as
superlu_dist for the test problem I am using.

Thanks,

Travis