[petsc-users] Conditional Constraints

Jonathan Backs jbacks at mcmillan-mcgee.com
Thu Jul 28 17:04:42 CDT 2011

Thanks for your reply, Shri. Responses below:

On 2011-07-28, at 1:03 PM, Shri wrote:

> [...]

I used the "0.0 + 0.0i" there to emphasize that I built PETSc with complex scalars, so all the scalars are stored as complex even if the imaginary components are always zero. I have been using std::abs() from the C++ standard library complex template class (std::complex<double>). I believe the values of type 'double' returned by std::abs() are implicitly cast to the real part of std::complex<double> or PetscScalar, though I usually try to cast explicitly.

> This seems like an application where the variables are of type complex but the constraints need to be set for functions of the variables which are actually real numbers. I am not sure whether this can be supported. Maybe Barry or others can shed more
> light on this.

My understanding is that comparison operators (such as < and >) are not defined for complex numbers, so would it be correct to say that anyone using complex scalars within PETSc will encounter this problem with SNESVI? In other words, SNESVI inequality constraints can only be applied to real variables or real-valued functions of complex variables?

>> The residuals are set as follows, and the Jacobian entries are set
>> correspondingly:
>> f[V_block] = {function of adjacent V_blocks, V_electrode}
>> f[V_electrode] = 0.0 + 0.0i
>> f[magnitude(V_electrode)] = 0.0 + 0.0i
>> f[magnitude(I_electrode)] = 0.0 + 0.0i
>
> What equations do you use for the partial derivatives of the magnitude functions w.r.t. the actual complex variables (V_block and V_electrode) in the jacobian evaluation?

Since I set all the residuals for both magnitude variables to zero, and each entry in the Jacobian matrix is a partial derivative of a residual, I believe the Jacobian entries for both magnitudes would all be zero as well. However, your point made me realize I have no Jacobian entry for the partial derivative of f[V_block] w.r.t. V_electrode. Is that needed? How would one enter it with MatSetValuesStencil? My working understanding was that each degree of freedom conceptually has its own residual and Jacobian, even though all residuals are contained in one Vec and all Jacobians contained in one Mat.

>> The first two potentials, V_block and V_electrode, are independent,
>> while magnitude(V_electrode) is a function of V_electrode only and the
>> electrode current magnitude(I_electrode) is a function of V_block and
>> V_electrode. Note that V_electrode acts as a source term in the finite
>> difference formulation for V_block. While all of these variables are
>> complex, the latter two always have zero imaginary parts. I suppose I
>> am assuming that PETSc knows to compare only the real parts if the
>> imaginary parts are zero. (Is this a bad assumption?)
>>
>> When solving with PETSc (using -snes_vi_type rs)
>
> Did you also use -snes_type vi?

I have been using SNESSetType(snes, SNESVI) in my code, and the use of -snes_type vi in the command line does not seem to change any behaviour.

> V_electrode stays at
>> its maximum, as set in the initial guess, and the V_block distribution
>> falls properly from that. However, measurements of
>> magnitude(I_electrode) are way above maximum and do not move downwards
>> with successive SNES iterations. I can also set the constraint on
>> magnitude(V_electrode) to less than maximum and it does not affect the
>> value of V_electrode. How can I tell PETSc to change V_electrode when
>> the magnitude(V_electrode) or magnitude(I_electrode) constraints are
>> not met?
>>
>  Send the code for your application with instructions on how to run it and we'll try to figure out what needs to be
>  done.

I really appreciate this generous offer of your time, and I will certainly take you up on it if we cannot resolve this otherwise. Unfortunately, I will be travelling for the next few weeks and it may take me some time to isolate the PETSc-dependent parts of my application. Please bear with me as I will try to keep in touch while I am away.

As I mentioned above, I think the issue may lie in the conceptual incompatibility of complex variables and inequality constraints, but I would appreciate your thoughts on that.

Thanks again,

Jon