[petsc-users] use Superlu as ilu preconditioner

Ping Rong ping.rong at tuhh.de
Tue Jul 26 15:53:36 CDT 2011

Dear developers,

I have compiled petsc-3.1-p8 for a while. Now I would like to use
superlu as an ilu preconditioner, since it offers the drop tolerance
option. I have read in a thread
(https://lists.mcs.anl.gov/mailman/htdig/petsc-users/2010-December/007439.html)
that one can run the code with option

-pc_type ilu -pc_factor_mat_solver_package superlu
-mat_superlu_ilu_droptol <>

to setup the ilu preconditioner. I also use the option "-help |grep
superlu" to check the settings. However, no matter how I change the
value of -mat_superlu_ilu_droptol, I always got the same result
   -mat_superlu_lwork <0>: size of work array in bytes used by
factorization (None)
   -mat_superlu_ilu_droptol <0.0001>: ILU_DropTol (None)
   -mat_superlu_ilu_filltol <0.01>: ILU_FillTol (None)
I dont know whether I understand it correctly. But it seems to me the
value of the droptol has never been changed. In that maillist thread, it
was also mentioned that the dev-version is recommended, because of some
bugs in the superlu interface. I have then compiled the current
dev-version. but the problem is my program is based on another library
(libMesh) which uses petsc as a solver package. Since some of the
interfaces have been changed in the dev-version, I would not be able to
compile the libMesh with petsc anymore.
Is there anyway I can correct the superlu interface in the 3.1-p8
version directly? Any help will be appreciated!!

Best regards

--
Ping Rong, M.Sc.
Hamburg University of Technology