[petsc-users] Conditional Constraints

Jonathan Backs jbacks at mcmillan-mcgee.com
Mon Jul 25 17:50:32 CDT 2011

Hi Shri,

Thanks for your message and all the helpful tips. If the TSVISetVariableBounds() functions are available now, I would like to try them as well. Is the interface essentially the same as with SNESVISetVariableBounds()? I will get back to you and Barry when I have had a chance to modify my application.

For my problem, I believe it makes sense to have bounds on one of the variables as well as one function of the variables. The two relevant degrees of freedom are the block voltage (one for each finite difference block) and the electrode voltage (one for each electrode, which may be present in multiple blocks). The electrode voltage should keep a constant phase while the magnitude is constrained between zero and some maximum. The block voltages near the electrodes depend on the electrode voltages as well as the neighbouring block voltages. The electrode current for a given electrode is a function of its electrode voltage and several nearby block voltages, and should be constrained in magnitude between zero and some maximum (and the phase unconstrained). Would I need to use SNESVISetComputeVariableBounds since the electrode current is a function of the other variables? Would any other provisions need to be made for the block voltages, since they depend on the electrode voltages?

Thank you again,

Jon