[petsc-users] Conditional Constraints

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Jul 22 15:46:44 CDT 2011

  Jon,

     You may be in luck. In PETSc-dev http://www.mcs.anl.gov/petsc/petsc-as/developers/index.html we have now implemented variational inequality non-linear solvers with box constraints.

     That is one has a set of variables u and algebraic equations F(u) = 0 (say of size n each) but in addition one has constraints    lu <=   u <= uu  where some or all of lu may be negative infinity (no constraints) and some or all of uu may be infinity (no constraints).  There is also a constraint on the sign of F() for those equations associated with active constraints.  If your constraints are not in this form sometimes you can introduce new additional variables to get it in this form.  Read up a little on variational inequalities on the web.

     To use this you provide the usual SNES function and Jacobian but you also provide SNESVISetVariableBounds()  there is a manual page for this function and for for SNESVI at http://www.mcs.anl.gov/petsc/petsc-as/snapshots/petsc-dev/docs/index.html (the link is broken right now but Satish is fixing it). Plus several examples in src/snes/examples/tutorials (in petsc-dev).

     This is all new code so we would be interested in your feedback.

   Barry