[petsc-users] PETSc recommended visualization packages

Ethan Coon ecoon at lanl.gov
Wed Jul 6 11:56:55 CDT 2011

On Wed, 2011-07-06 at 12:24 -0300, Lisandro Dalcin wrote:
> On 6 July 2011 11:41, Ethan Coon <ecoon at lanl.gov> wrote:
> > Both Paraview and Visit generally make ugly axes/colorbars/keys/etc.  In my opinion they both look fine for presentations and my own viewing, but are not really acceptable for publication-quality.  For things run on a reasonably-sized problem, matplotlib (using either h5py to read hdf5, pyvtk to read vtk, or petsc4py to read PETSc's binary format) makes publishable plots.
> >

> Using petsc4py for reading PETSc binary formats is overkill.

I guess if you don't have petsc4py installed, it may be overkill.  But
it's still a one-liner to do so if you do have petsc4py installed.  I
guess it does require knowing the size a priori, which should be
accessible from the header, but otherwise it's not a big deal.

> All this
> can be done with just NumPy. Should PETSc ship some Python code to
> read IS's, Vec's, Mat's in binary format? Can any of you suggest an
> appropriate location in the source tree?

Comparable code lives in bin/matlab...

Ethan

--
Ethan Coon