[petsc-users] Search order for BLAS

Jed Brown jed at 59A2.org
Sat Feb 26 19:03:37 CST 2011

On Sun, Feb 27, 2011 at 01:56, F R Foust <frfoust at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I was trying to build petsc using MKL blas/lapack and had a small issue.  I
> tried to point configure at the mkl directory with --with-blas-lapack-dir,
> but it found an installation of ATLAS already in /usr/local/lib and used
> that instead.

Is that where your MKL is? If not, then this should be considered a bug, but
it's probably hard to fix because /usr/local/lib must be a system path which
is searched automatically.

>  I poked around and found a fixed search order in
> BuildSystem/config/packages/BlasLapack.py (it tries ATLAS, AMD ACML, then
> MKL).
>
> Is there any way to force a specific flavor of BLAS in a flag passed to
> configure (I mean, so I don't have to modify BlasLapack.py, which is what I
> did).  Or alternatively, is there a way to force the issue by using
> --with-blas-lapack-lib, --with-blas-lib?  I wasn't able to figure out the
> correct incantation to include all of the stuff MKL needs to link against.

You can find what is necessary here, then put it in --with-blas-lapack-lib.

http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-mkl-link-line-advisor/