[petsc-users] Get solution at a stage for ts_type arkimex

Jed Brown jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Dec 21 07:51:01 CST 2011

On Fri, Dec 16, 2011 at 13:04, Konstantinos Kontzialis <
ckontzialis at lycos.com> wrote:

>  I use ts_type arkimex, and I want at the end of every RK stage to apply a
> limiter function. How can I set TS so that to apply the function at the end
> of a RK stage?

If you are doing something at every stage, it's best to write it into your
residual/right-hand-side. This is how limiters work in TVD finite volume
and discontinuous Galerkin methods.

Accessing at each stage is bad because:

1. The meaning of what is solved in each stage varies between methods.
2. It may spoil the order of accuracy and/or other stability properties of
the method.
3. The stages may not all be increasing or located inside the time interval.

If you must, you can hook into SNES directly (e.g. by defining your own
"line search" that applies the filter), but I don't recommend it.