[petsc-users] about DA

Ethan Coon ecoon at lanl.gov
Wed Aug 31 16:11:30 CDT 2011

On Wed, 2011-08-31 at 16:23 -0400, Likun Tan wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a quick question about DA. When use DAVecGetArray() to set values
> to the array and run the program with mpiexec, does DAVecGetArray()
> compute in parallel?

DAVecGetArray() only gives you access to the local portion (plus any
ghost nodes) of the global vec.  The portion of the data you get is
indexed by global numbering, so the indices into the pointer should
range from

xs --> xs+m

where these values are given by

DAGetGhostCorners() or DAGetCorners()

http://www.mcs.anl.gov/petsc/petsc-as/snapshots/petsc-current/docs/manualpages/DA/DAGetGhostCorners.html#DAGetGhostCorners

So yes, you should only do the local portion of the calculation to set
set the values.

Ethan

--
Ethan Coon