[petsc-users] performance issue solving multiple linear systems of the same size with the different preconditioning methods

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Sat Aug 27 16:02:46 CDT 2011

  You can use -ksp_monitor_true_residual  from the command line to always monitor the unpreconditioned residuals, no memory leaks.

   But this would be an unfair test for timing because

1) having ASCII IO screws up timing results
2) some methods like left preconditioned GMRES get the preconditioned residual "for free" in that it is needed in the algorithm but if you monitor the true residual this introduces a lot of additional operations (which are not needed for the linear solve) making the linear solver look slower than it really is.

   Barry