[petsc-users] Boomeramg as a solver

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Nov 1 14:54:21 CDT 2010

On Nov 1, 2010, at 2:46 PM, jibum kim wrote:

> Are you saying that boomeramg with richardson iterations is same as the multigrid without a preconditioner?

   I do not know what you mean by multigrid with or without a preconditioner?  Multigrid doesn't "take a preconditioner", it is an iterative solver that can be used as a preconditioner but it cannot use other preconditioners.

> and if it the case, how can I set an extra preconditioner like ILU ?

   What do you mean by an "extra preconditioner"? I assume you mean use ILU as a smoother instead of SOR or Jacobi. BoomerAMG has no mechanism to use ILU as a smoother so you cannot do this.

   Because ML is more flexible it is possible to use PETSc's ILU as a smoother for it.

   Barry