[petsc-users] configure problems

Jed Brown jed at 59A2.org
Mon Jul 19 17:44:54 CDT 2010

On Tue, 20 Jul 2010 08:37:18 +1000, Matthew Knepley <knepley at gmail.com> wrote:
> This would do you absolutely no good. Even Jed's thing needs all the
> information that the configure provides. CMake is exactly what it
> says, make. It does no configuration

This isn't true, CMake isn't a build system at all, it does
configuration and produces build files for another tool (like make or an
IDE).  I see no point in maintaining duplicate configuration systems,
and CMake's scripting language is so attrocious that "replacing"
BuildSystem with CMake script would be a disaster.  It's
cross-compilation support is also a bit weak, and there are a pile of
other things that it does poorly (mostly related to pathologically
dysfunctional "Find*.cmake" modules).  That doesn't mean it isn't useful
for producing build files.

Jed