[petsc-users] Petsc parallel processing from a library, without "mpiexec -np ..."

Aron Ahmadia aron.ahmadia at kaust.edu.sa
Tue Jul 6 12:13:34 CDT 2010

Dear Nemanja,

Welcome to PETSc!  It is important to note that PETSc's parallel
functionality is implemented on top of MPI.  Your MPI vendor (Microsoft,
MPICH, OpenMPI, etc...) is responsible for providing you the interface for
launching your jobs in parallel, PETSc does not care how your MPI jobs are
launched.  Although mpiexec is the standard on UNIXy-style operating systems
and distributions, it is not uncommon to see graphical interfaces for
launching these programs in the OS X and Microsoft HPC worlds.

I suggest that you raise this question with the implementors/providers of
your MPI libraries (PETSc downloads and installs mpich:
http://www.mcs.anl.gov/research/projects/mpich2/ for you in many standard
configurations).

Good luck,
Aron