[petsc-users] Is the staggered grid good for SNES? or only for SIMPLE scheme?

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Jan 26 17:08:42 CST 2010

   Typing "why use staggered grids?" into google gave me the first
answer:  http://www.cfd-online.com/Wiki/Staggered_grid

   Though a bit terse and far from complete it is more or less
correct. As it states, coding a non-staggered grid is generally easier,

   You can use or not use staggered grids for such problems but you
should understand something about the issues before you do anything.
This isn't really a question about PDEs but a question about PDE
discretizations for which there is a huge literature. You should talk
to a fluid dynamics person about your particular problem.

    Barry