[petsc-users] ParMETIS question

Thomas Witkowski thomas.witkowski at tu-dresden.de
Tue Dec 21 07:49:58 CST 2010

Hi,

I have a not directly PETSc related question, but I hope to get some
answer from the community here. In my FEM code, I make use of ParMETIS
to partition the mesh. I make direct use of this library and not of
PETSc's ParMETIS integration. The initial partition is always fine, but
I use the ParMETIS_V3_AdaptiveRepart function for repartition the mesh
due to local mesh adaption. In most cases, the result is fine, but there
are two points, where I have trouble with:

1) Sometimes ParMETIS generates empty partitions, i.e., a processor has
zero mesh elements. This is something my code cannot handle. Is this a
bug or a feature? If it is a feature, is there any possiblity to disable it?

2) In most cases the specific partitions are not connected. If I put all
data to ParMETIS in a correct way, is this okay? My code can handle it,
but is slows down the computation due to larger interior boundaries and
therefore to more communications.

Does anyone of you know an answer to these question? Is there a debug
mode in ParMETIS, where I can see which data is set to its function calls?

Regards,

Thomas