[petsc-users] Problems with preconditioners, which one?

Filippo Spiga filippo.spiga at disco.unimib.it
Thu Aug 5 10:55:13 CDT 2010

  Dear Jed, Hong, Barry and Matthew,
     first of all thank ou very much for you help. I really appreciate it!

I tired all your suggestions and now I'm able to solve my problem. Good
news! The system reachs the convergence using 'superlu_dist', 'umfpack'
and 'mumps'. However I experienced some problems using umfpack and
mumps. In details:
- umpfpack: sometimes a values like '-1.3363470411775628e-16' or
'1.1111231822598224e-15' appears instead of '0.0000000000000000e+00'
- mumps: for large system (~30k x 30k matrix) it seems to be stuck after
a while. I used 8 processors. I cannot understand why this happens but
I'm investigating...

SuperLU_DIST seems to work perfectly even if is slower that the other
two. But I didn't do a exaustive performance comparison. Now my idea is
do a lot of tests to measure the accuracy and the timing varying the
dimension of the problem (I have different cubes to test), ksp_atol and
ksp_rtol.  I'm able for all simple cube cases to costruct by myself the
analitical solution so I will compare the computed one with the
"analitical" one. That's perfect to tune the solver, isn't it?

Once again, thank you very much for your support.
Regards

--

Filippo SPIGA

«Nobody will drive us out of Cantor's paradise.»
      -- David Hilbert