[petsc-users] Problems with preconditioners, which one?

Jed Brown jed at 59A2.org
Wed Aug 4 10:07:17 CDT 2010

On Wed, 04 Aug 2010 08:53:16 -0400, Filippo Spiga <filippo.spiga at disco.unimib.it> wrote:
>   In my case that test is not useful, right?

Correct, if you have

  f(x) = A x - b

then -snes_type test doesn't check anything new.

> I didn't try UMFPACK and probably that external library is not compiled.
> I will do that. But can I use "-pc_type lu,-pc_factor_mat_solver_package
> umfpack" in a parallel execution?

You can use mumps and superlu_dist in parallel.  Or a domain
decomposition method with direct subdomain solves, but then my earlier
comment regarding being careful about the partition applies.

Jed