Petsc parallel vectors with two communicators

Khan, Irfan irfan.khan at gatech.edu
Wed Mar 25 01:05:19 CDT 2009

Hi
Can the petsc parallel vectors be used with two different communicators? For instance, I have created two different communicators called FEA_Comm and FSI_Comm. The total number of processes are x+y. FSI_Comm works on x+y but FEA_Comm works only on x.

Now I am trying to create parallel vectors a1 and a2 such that a1 has entries from x+y processes but a2 has entries from only y processes.

After splitting the communicators I assign PETSC_COMM_WORLD to FEA_Comm which works on only x processes. Subsequently petsc is initialized (PetscInitialize()). But when the parallel vectors are created, the processes hang.

Any suggestions will be helpful

Thankyou
Irfan
Graduate Research Assistant
Woodruff school of Mechanical Engineering
Atlanta, GA (30307)