singular systems, petsc and slepc

Umut Tabak umut.tabak at gmail.com
Tue Jul 21 15:39:18 CDT 2009

Dear all,

As a fresh user of Petsc libraries, should thank the developers for such
a magnificent endeavor and years of work.

So the question directly related to Petsc is that if I have a singular
system matrix and try to solve for the unknowns(simple enough 3 by 3) (I
am using the simple linear system example from the Petsc user manual as
a template where a preconditioner is used, I guess it is Jacobi.), I do
not get any warnings for zero pivots in LU decomposition which I could
not understand why, and the results are on the order of e+16, also the
norm of the error. But why is not there some kind of warning.

The second part of the question is related to Slepc, this might not find
direct answers here perhaps, but let me give it a try.

I have a generalized eigenvalue problem, it is a vibration related
problem so I will use K and M instead of A and B, respectively. On my
problem, K is singular, and if I use slepc to find the solution, petsc
warns me about the zero pivot emergence, and breaks down naturally,
there after I apply some shift operations that are already implemented
in slepc to overcome the problem.

The question is what is the effect of preconditioner on a singular
matrix for the linear system explained above, somehow, I was thinking in
any case that should also warn me but it did not and gave some wrong
results.

I am a bit weak on the preconditioners, maybe should have done some
reading but I know that singular systems can also have solutions by some
order tricks, pseudo inverse, temporary links application solutions with
respect to rigid body modes(from structural mechanics too specific maybe).

Can Petsc handle singular systems as well? I am a bit confused at this
point.

Best regards,

Umut