partitioning

Yixun Liu enjoywm at cs.wm.edu
Sat Feb 21 09:30:03 CST 2009

Barry Smith wrote:

> On Feb 21, 2009, at 8:40 AM, Yixun Liu wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> ex2 give an example on how to partition using ParMETIS by inputing
>> element graph and mesh. ParMETIS also provides function for partitioning
>> without inputing graph. Does PETSc provide some interface for this?
>
> I doubt it. How can one partition a graph without providing the graph?
>
> Barry
>

>> Thanks.
>>
>> Yixun

Mesh can produce graph by taking into account the fact two neighboring
elements share same edge or surface, so we can let ParMETIS do it just
providing mesh as input. ParMETIS provides a function named as
ParMETIS_V3_PartMeshKway, which only takes a mesh as input. Internally,
this function use a mesh-to-graph routine(section 3.2 ParMETIS manual).