petsc 3.0.0 test woes

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Tue Feb 17 09:29:12 CST 2009

On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 9:06 AM, Toby D. Young <tyoung at ippt.gov.pl> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am trying to migrate to petsc-2.0.0-p3 on an amd64 linux box. I have
> encountered two (unrealted?) problems.

Please always send logs with these kinds of questions. And when sending
logs,
petsc-maint at mcs.anl.gov is more appropriate.

> ** install problem 1
>
> After exporting PETSC_DIR and PETSC_ARCH
> I use:
> $ ./config/configure.py --with-blas-lib=libblas.so
> --with-lapack-lib=liblapack.so --with-dynamic=1 --with-shared=1
> --with-mpi=0
> and then:
> $make all
> ...and all looks ok libraries are build. Then

Are you positive. Please check again that plog.c built.

> $make test
> complains thus:
>
> Running test examples to verify correct installation
> Possible error running C/C++ src/snes/examples/tutorials/ex19 with 1
> MPI process See
> http://www.mcs.anl.gov/petsc/petsc-as/documentation/troubleshooting.html././ex19:
> symbol lookup error: ././ex19: undefined symbol: petsc_tmp_flops
> Possible error running Graphics examples
> src/snes/examples/tutorials/ex19 1 MPI process See
> http://www.mcs.anl.gov/petsc/petsc-as/documentation/troubleshooting.html././ex19:
> symbol lookup error: ././ex19: undefined symbol: petsc_tmp_flops Error
> running Fortran example src/snes/examples/tutorials/ex5f with 1 MPI
> process See
> http://www.mcs.anl.gov/petsc/petsc-as/documentation/troubleshooting.html././ex5f:
> symbol lookup error: ././ex5f: undefined symbol: dmgetlocalvector_
> Completed test examples
>
> I am unsure how to track down this error, or what it is I am doing
> wrong. This procedure works for sure for petsc-2.3.3-p6 Any ideas
> please?

The symbol petsc_tmp_flops is defined in plog.c, which is in libpetsc.a. You
can check for
that symbol with nm.

> ** install problem 2
>
> Sadly (for me), it seems that the petsc directory structure has changed
> from 2.3.3-p6; this is bringing development of other packages (deal.ii
> and slepc) to a screaming halt. So I'll try and fix this without
> complaining   :-)
>
> I have noticed this change:
> petsc-2.3.3-p6/lib  -->  petsc-3.0.0-p6/$(PETSC_ARCH)/lib
>
> Can someone kindly point me of other directory structure changes I
> should look out for, or is there a page on the PETSc website which
> documents these changes I can look at.

We now conform to the Linux install model. All 3rd party packages and
petsc includes/libraries are installed under $PETSC_ARCH, or in the
install location you specify.

   Matt

> Many thanks.
> Best,
>        Toby
>

> --
>
> Toby D. Young
> Adiunkt (Assistant Professor)
> Philosopher-Physicist
> Department of Computational Science
> Institute of Fundamental Technological Research
> Polish Academy of Sciences
> Room 206, ul. Swietokrzyska 21
> 00-049 Warszawa, Polska
>
> +48 22 826 12 81 ext. 184