config-options

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Feb 16 16:28:01 CST 2009

    The thing with PETSc config/configure.py options (and even more so
with the PETSc runtime options) is that they
are NOT centralized and they depend on each other.  We don't even know
how many there are and all their possible
combinations. The only access to ALL of them is via the -help option
where the current possibilities are listed.
When someone adds a new component to PETSc (or to its config) its
options go with that component (not in some central file).

I guess we could add some runtime option like -defaults that would
present all of them in a machine parsible way, it might
be kind of messy. How important is this?

   Barry