How to use PETSc with sunf90?

Svend Tollak Munkejord stm-direct_reply at pvv.org
Fri Feb 13 01:31:05 CST 2009

Hi,

On 2009-02-12, Satish Balay wrote:

> On Thu, 12 Feb 2009, Svend Tollak Munkejord wrote:
>

>> > But ideally - you should be using '--with-cc=suncc --wth-cxx=sunCC'
>> > with sunf90 [not gcc/g++].
>>
>> I agree, but this gives:
>>
>> *********************************************************************************
>>          UNABLE to CONFIGURE with GIVEN OPTIONS    (see configure.log for details):
>> C++ compiler you provided with -with-cxx=sunCC does not work
>> *********************************************************************************
>>
>> configure.log contains things like
>>
>> Possible ERROR while running linker: /usr/lib64/libm.so: file not recognized: File format not recognized
>>
>> and I don't know how to fix it. I could send you the configure.log if
>> you like.
>
> Hmm - sometimes sun compilers require the static libm - so the
> following additional option might
> work. '--LIBS=/usr/lib64/libm.a'.

As an option to ./config/configure.py ?
It made no difference.

> Otherwise - send us configure.log at
> petsc-maint at mcs.anl.gov

Based on your next e-mail (below), this now seems futile?

> Another note: we always recommend debug build of PETSc for
> development. One should worry about optimized/performance builds -
> only after developmenet is done and when performance numbers are
> captured [perhaps for publishing].

OK. I tried --with-debugging=yes, and it gave the same error message.

On 2009-02-12, Satish Balay wrote:

>> > Possible ERROR while running linker: /usr/lib64/libm.so: file not recognized: File format not recognized
>
> Looks like sunCC is broken. [it can't compile a simple test
> code].

This is strange. I tried this on my 32-bit computer, and there sunCC
didn't seem to cause any trouble.

> This c++ dependency is from hypre..

Yes, the BoomerAMG solver works very well for my problems.

Regards,
--
Svend Tollak Munkejord