installation problems in mac machine

Satish Balay balay at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Dec 21 15:19:39 CST 2009

On Mon, 21 Dec 2009, Matthew Knepley wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 21, 2009 at 3:13 PM, Dominik Szczerba <dominik at itis.ethz.ch>wrote:

> > Why use sudo in the first place?
> > I am not a mac user, but normally on unix sudo is the last thing you
> > want to use during everyday work (provided that you are at all allowed
> > to use it).
> >

> Not sure why you would think that. In fact, sudo is the safe way to
> do things and recommended for everyday usage.

:)

If stuff needs to be in /usr or such system location - I usually recommend:

sudo mkdir /usr/local/petsc
sudo chown user:user /usr/local/petsc

<and then do the install in there as normal user>

But if one really wants to install petsc as root on 'sudo' only
machines - then I recommend getting a proper shell with 'sudo /bin/bash'

Satish