Assembling a matrix

Douglas Arnold arnold at umn.edu
Fri Dec 18 17:59:59 CST 2009

Anirban Chatterjee asked how to assemble an (n+1)x(n+1) sparse matrix

B = [A   v;
      v^T c]

from an nxn sparse matrix A, a vector v, and a scalar c. Matt
Knepley and Barry Smith advised against it.

I have pretty much the same problem and I want to make sure I
understand the situation.  In my case, the matrix A comes to me
from another application that I would rather not fiddle with.
The rank of A is n-1 and v is a vector in its nullspace, c=0.  I would
like to solve a system with the matrix B by a direct solver, and
so I think I need to assemble it.  Do I understand correctly that
there is no efficient way to do this in PETSc?  Even in a sequential
computation?

  -- Doug