parallel matrix multiplication ATA

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Dec 7 15:01:29 CST 2009

    First, change your code to use a call to MatPtAPSymbolic()
followed by a call to MatPtAPNumeric() and run (using PETSc ./
configured with the option --with-debugging=0) with the flag -info and
save all the output to a file. Then search that file for the string
"Use MatPtAP", from this you will find the best fill factor.

  The run it a second time with the option -log_summary and that "best
fill factor" A table will be printed, look at how much time in the
table is devoted to the symbolic and numeric part of the product and
the flop rate to see if it looks reasonable. Feel free to send that
out to petsc-maint at mcs.anl.gov and from that we can conjecture if
there is a way to speed it up enough to make ti worth new codeing.

    Barry