block matrices

Manav Bhatia bhatiamanav at gmail.com
Sun Sep 28 12:44:52 CDT 2008

Hi Jed,

    Thanks for your insightful comments on this.
    I randomly came up with this B sub-structure and did not pay any
attention to the indefinite nature of the matrix. My main aim was to
get across the idea of what I wanted to achieve.

    In my application, I already have a lot of code that calculates
the individual sub-matrices S1, S2,...  Hence, as much as possible, I
would like to be able to build the B matrix from these matrices. This
brings me to two questions:

I was reading the Petsc manual pages and came across the following
functions: MatCreateBlockMat, MatCreateSeqAIJWithArrays and
MatCreateSeqBAIJ.

1> So, if I have the S1,S2,...,S5, and I want to build the B matrix as
mentioned below, would the BAIJ matrix be better to use than the AIJ?

2> And which one of the above three methods would be best to create B ?

I would appreciate any comments on this.

Thanks,
Manav