Slow MatSetValues

Billy Araújo billy at dem.uminho.pt
Thu May 29 15:50:23 CDT 2008

Hi,

I just want to share my experience with FE assembly.
I think the problem of preallocation in finite element matrices is that you don't know how many elements are connected to a given node, there can be 5, 20 elements or more. You can build a structure with the number of nodes connected to a node and then preallocate the matrix but this is not very efficient.

I know UMFPACK has a method of forming triplets with the matrix information and then it has routines to add duplicate entries and compress the data in a compressed matrix format. Although I have never used UMFPACK with PETSC. I also don't know if there are similiar functions in PETSC optimized for FE matrix assembly.

Regards,

Billy.