mesh ordering and partition

Gong Ding gdiso at ustc.edu
Fri May 16 11:47:06 CDT 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: "Matthew Knepley" <knepley at gmail.com>
To: <petsc-users at mcs.anl.gov>
Sent: Saturday, May 17, 2008 12:19 AM
Subject: Re: mesh ordering and partition

> I think, if you are using the serial PETSc ILU, you should just use a
> MatOrdering,
> which can be done from the command line:
>
>  -pc_type ilu -pc_factor_mat_ordering_type rcm
>
> which I tested on KSP ex2.
>
>  Matt

I am developing parallel code for 3D semiconductor device simulation.
>From the experience of 2D code, the GMRES solver with ILU works well (the
matrix is asymmetric.)
As a result, I'd like to use GMRES+ILU again for 3D,  in parallel.
Does   -pc_type ilu -pc_factor_mat_ordering_type rcm still work?
Since the parallel martrix requires continuous index in subdomain, the
matrix ordering seems troublesome.
maybe only a local ordering can be done... Am I right?

Gong Ding