whether do I need to consider the symmetric preconditioner when using CG?

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Jan 16 11:23:25 CST 2008

    Yujie,

      I now understand the reason for your question. CG can be
implemented with right, left or split preconditioner and in
ALL three cases it is still a symmetric implementation of CG! All give
similar convergence rates.

     The largest effect of left, right or split is in stopping
criteria; right preconditioning always uses the TRUE residual
norm to determine convergence || b - A x||, left preconditioning using
|| B(b - Ax) ||. You can use
-ksp_norm_type unpreconditioned  with left preconditioner or natural
norm. You can see the code KSPSolve_CG
for exact details.

    Barry