(Petsc SNES) Reevaluating Function right after evaluating the Jacobian

Edson Tadeu e.tadeu at gmail.com
Mon Dec 1 15:21:03 CST 2008

 Barry,

It's not that I'm changing the definition of the function... the problem is
that the function have some "ifs" on it. This comes ultimately from the
physics of the problem... there is some change of dependency between the
variables, like this:

A is an unknown, B is an unknown, C is dependent (not on the system):

   C = 1 - A - B + delta_C

(where delta_C is also dependent from some other variables).

But if C == 0 and delta_C == 0, then the dependency changes:

A is an unknown, but B is now dependent:

   B = 1 - A

This is why, when this happens, the Jacobian row of B becomes linearly
dependent with the row of A. So, actually, B should be taken out of the
system! [See that there is a real change here, because now the derivative
dB/dA == -1, but before, A and B were unrelated.]

Well... this scheme was working before using full Newton steps... ;)

But thanks for the tip, I'll also try to treat accordingly the null space
that appears with the linear dependence. Hmm... but by removing the null
space of J, I'll be effectively removing the row corresponding to the B
unknown... so, I would need to define delta_B = -delta_A later, anyway,
wouldn't I (or maybe PETSc would define it automatically, given the basis
vector [1 -1 0 0 0...] for the null space)?

  Thanks,
Edson