(Petsc SNES) Reevaluating Function right after evaluating the Jacobian

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Dec 1 14:29:07 CST 2008

    The mathematician side of me cringes (actually every side of me
cringes) when I read this.

    You are changing the definition of the function you are finding
the zero of WHILE you are
finding the zero of it. Yuck. How do you know what you get at the end
is anything but garbage?

   It seems to me that either
1) there is a bug in your Jacobian or
2) near (or at) the solution (when F(x) = 0) the Jacobian is singular

For 1) you can run with -snes_ls_type test to do some simple tests on
the Jacobian.

For 2) I submit that what you really want to do (instead of changing
the "Jacobian" to something
that is not the Jacobian) is to properly solve the singular linear
system. How to do this
depends on the nature of the null space of the Jacobian and if you
have a handle on what
the null space is). In PETSc the simplest thing to try (sequentially)
is -pc_type lu -pc_factor_shift_nonzero
and see what happens.

    Barry