Petsc questions

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Aug 14 20:49:30 CDT 2008

On Aug 14, 2008, at 1:33 PM, Matthew Knepley wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 14, 2008 at 1:22 PM, Nguyen, Hung V ERDC-ITL-MS
> <Hung.V.Nguyen at usace.army.mil> wrote:
>>
>> Barry,
>>
>> Thanks for the info. I will use what we already have. How's about
>> estimation
>> of matrix condition number via PETSC?
>
> You can use -ksp_monitor_singular_value to print out the exterior
> singular values
> for the Hessenberg matrix generated by the Krylov method. I don't
> think we have
> anything else. Condition number estimation is a tough problem.

    See also KSPSetComputeSingularValues(), KSPSetComputeEigenvalues(),
KSPComputeSingularValues(), KSPComputeEigenvalues() for use in your
code.
I've found if the operator is not terribly ill-conditioned these can
work fairly well.
If using GMRES for a non-symmetric matrix make sure you use a large
enough
restart to get accurate values.

    Barry