negative indices

Cristian Tibirna ctibirna at giref.ulaval.ca
Tue Aug 12 11:08:13 CDT 2008

Hello

We recently decided to use PETSc's negative indices features in a FEM code
that originated long time ago, long before PETSc 2.0.24 (which, it seems,
introduced negative indices for matrices and vectors).

I attempted to write an algorithm that produces negative indices at assembly
for matrix lines and columns and vector entries imposed by Dirichlet boundary
conditions. All seemed straightforward up until the final testing.

Our FEM solver is written "in terms of correction". Thus, we get the solution
as a correction vector, which should have null entries corresponding to the
original Dirichlet-imposed DOFs.

To my surprise, even if I initialize the correction vector by filling it with
zeros, I get the Dirichlet-imposed entries (and then a few more) set to
NaN-s.

The bigger surprise is that, even if I set manually to zero the
Dirichlet-imposed entries in the correction vector _after_ the solver
finishes, I still have the "few more" entries set to NaN.

All the values in the correction vector that are not nan-s are the exact
solution of the system, as expected. Thus, I conclude that the solver
assembles the matrix and the residual vector correctly and returns the right
solution of the matricial system.

Any idea what should I look at for debugging this?

NOTE: I solve the system by PREONLY (LU preconditioner, of course).

Thanks in advance for any help.

--
Cristian Tibirna				(1-418-) 656-2131 / 4340
  Laval University - Quebec, CAN ... http://www.giref.ulaval.ca/~ctibirna
  Research professional at GIREF ... ctibirna at giref.ulaval.ca