Banded Tridiagonal Matrices in PETSc

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Nov 22 12:41:17 CST 2007

    There is a format Bdiag that stores by "banded diagonal". You will
find that
this performs slower than then the AIJ format.

   If your matrix has constant values along the "diagaonals" then you
will benefit from
using a MatShell and writing custom code. if the values along the
diagonals are
not constant you will not do any better than AIJ anyways.

    Barry