Parallel ISCreateGeneral()

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Sun Nov 18 12:01:50 CST 2007

On Nov 18, 2007 11:52 AM, Tim Stitt <timothy.stitt at ichec.ie> wrote:
> Matt,
>
> It is in setup for MatLUFactorSymbolic() and MatLUFactorNumeric() calls
> which require index sets. I have distributed my rows across the
> processes and now just a bit confused about the arguments to the
> ISCreateGeneral() routine to set up the IS sets used by the Factor
> routines in parallel.
>
> So my basic question is what in general is the length and integers that
> get passed to ISCreateGeneral() when doing this type of calculation in
> parallel? Are they local index values (0..#rows on process-1) or do they
> refer to the distributed indices of the global matrix?

To be consistent, these would be local sizes and global numberings. However,
I am not sure why you would be doing this. I do not believe any of the parallel
LU packages accept an ordering from the user (they calculate their own),
and I would really only use them from a KSP (or PC at the least).

  Matt

> Tim.
>

> Matthew Knepley wrote:
> > On Nov 18, 2007 11:34 AM, Tim Stitt <timothy.stitt at ichec.ie> wrote:
> >
> >> OK..so I should be using the aggregate length returned by
> >> MatGetOwnershipRange() routine?
> >>

> > If you are using it to permute a Mat, yes.
> >
> >   Matt
> >

> >> Thanks Matt for you help.

> >> --
> >> Dr. Timothy Stitt <timothy_dot_stitt_at_ichec.ie>
> >> HPC Application Consultant - ICHEC (www.ichec.ie)
> >>
> >> Dublin Institute for Advanced Studies
> >> 5 Merrion Square - Dublin 2 - Ireland
> >>
> >> +353-1-6621333 (tel) / +353-1-6621477 (fax)
> >>

> --
> Dr. Timothy Stitt <timothy_dot_stitt_at_ichec.ie>
> HPC Application Consultant - ICHEC (www.ichec.ie)
>
> Dublin Institute for Advanced Studies
> 5 Merrion Square - Dublin 2 - Ireland
>
> +353-1-6621333 (tel) / +353-1-6621477 (fax)

their experiments lead.