Non-uniform 2D mesh questions

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Mar 1 15:59:00 CST 2007

  Yaron,

   We don't really have tools to help do this efficiently (especially
in parallel). The DA, IS and AO are not related to this.

   It is all doable and not terribly difficult (I think) but we
just don't have the pieces to

1) get the local to global index map (you need to do this based
on your geometry)
2) given a sparse matrix and a mapping from its local rows/columns to
global rows/columns stick the values into the larger map. To start
you can simply loop over the rows of the small matrix and call matsetvalues
onto the big matrix after mapping the row number and the column numbers
for that row. This will be really slow until you preallocate the larger
matrix. Figuring out the preallocation for the larger matrix is not
terribly hard, you again loop over the rows in the small matrix count
how many entries will be in the "diagonal part" of the large parallel
matrix and how many in the "off-diagonal part". Once you have all
this call MatCreateMPIAIJ() with the computed row lengths. All of this
mapping stuff would just be done with arrays of integers.

  I'm sorry but this is so different from what our "paying customers"
need that we cannot write the code. But, as always, we'll do our best
to answer questions that may come up.

   Good luck,

    Barry