Difference between debugging and optimized version of PETSc

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Mon Jan 29 20:44:52 CST 2007

On 1/29/07, Ben Tay <zonexo at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> May I know what's the difference between the optimized and debugging
> version?
>
> Have the optimization flags such as -O3 been used in the compilcation of
> the libraries for the optimized one? Whereas for the debugging version,
> there is no optimization by the compiler?

It is just the difference in compiler flags. You would have to look at the
compiler documentation.

If my program works fine in the debugging version, does it mean that I will
> not get errors in the optimized version?

Most likely.

   Matt

Thanks

--
One trouble is that despite this system, anyone who reads journals widely
and critically is forced to realize that there are scarcely any bars to