PETSc performance on Intel core 2 duo

Satish Balay balay at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Jan 24 18:31:42 CST 2007

Ideally you'll have to benchmark the correct code to determine the
differences in performance between different architectures.

We have some 'sequential' performance numbers for a sample test case
in src/benchmarks/results/performance_cfd_2_10. Also anyone can run
this benchmark on the hardware they are evaluating - with the options
mentioned in this file [the datafiles are at
ftp://ftp.mcs.anl.gov/pub/petsc/matrices]

With sparse computations, we generally see that the limiting factor is
memory bandwidth. So a core-2-duo desktop could have 21GB/s shared
[first generation has lower value?]  between 4 procs. If this is
correct than I would expect it to provide pretty good performance..

Satish