disk space requirement for mpich2 during PETSc library compilation

Aron Ahmadia aja2111 at columbia.edu
Sat Jan 13 07:47:17 CST 2007

Hi Ben,

My PETSc install on an OS X machine requires about 343 MB of space,
about 209 MB of which is MPICH.  Unfortunately this has the potential
of exceeding 500 MB temporarily I believe as the make process
generates a lot of object files during the software build.

I think what you want to do is compile and install your own copy of
MPICH (using a scratch directory or whatever tools you have at your
disposal), then use the --with-mpi-dir=/location/to/mpich/install
argument into configure.

I've never staged a PETSc build on a machine with an extremely limited
quota, the developers might have some suggestions on how to do this.

~A